Click your county to view licensing information. *Opens in a new window.
The following are the requirements of Oakland County residents applying for a marriage license.
1. You must be 18 years of age to apply for a marriage application in Michigan. Persons 16 and 17 years of age must show a certified copy of their birth certificate and have written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application with picture identification.
2. For the purpose of marriage application, residency is determined by acurrent valid driver's license or state I.D.:
- If you are a Michigan resident, you must apply in the county where you live. If both parties are Michigan residents, you may apply in either county. The license is valid throughout the state.
- If both parties are out-of-state residents, you must apply in the county where you are going to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
3. The following is required of both parties:
- Valid driver's license or state ID showing current address.
- Birth certificate or valid passport. If passport is used instead of birth certificate, full names of both parents and the state or country where they were born must be provided at time of application.
- Social Security numbers of both parties pursuant to MCL 551.102.
4. Fee per couple: $20.00 for Michigan residents; $30.00 for out-of-state residents.
5. Apply in person or online.
- Your marriage license will expire 33 days from the date of application. Do not apply if your ceremony will be held more than 34 days from today.
The above information is provided for reference only. Please visit your county clerk for up to date information. Ceremony Solutions is not responsible for errors or changes to the law that conflict with the information provided.